Here is our newest project, a fabulous "Witch's Urn"! When I first saw one of these, here, here and here, I just fell in love. It looked so fun, I just had to try it.
If you have been following this process, I know it has taken sooooo.o.o.o.o.o long for us to finish this project. Life has been keeping us busy and taking up all of our time.
Here's how we did it.
I was lucky enough to find a GREAT deal on some mannequin legs on Craigslist. I paid $10 for this mismatched set. **Update - See this post for another place you could find mannequin legs. If you don't live in the Minneapolis area, you can see if there is a similar type of business near you.
We spray painted our mannequin legs black. We did this because the first leg, attached to the torso, was scratched up and dull and the paint on the red leg was showing through the fibers of our striped tights. We also spray painted a large heavy plastic urn black. You will notice the urn is now gray, since the black just wasn't working for me. We ended up spraying over the black with one of those textured granite sprays and then I distressed it. Here is a picture of the urn before distressing.
For info on how I made the witch's shoes (from Goodwill finds), see previous posts.
We purchased some striped tights in the Halloween section of our local Party City store. You can also find these at any Halloween themed stores that pop up at this time of year.
We ended up having to cut the torso off of the one leg, since it was too tall for our urn.
We glued the two mannequin legs on to a board and secured the board in the urn. We used heavy construction adhesive to do both of these, since we didn't want them falling out & bopping some young child on the head. Once they were set, we put tights and shoes on the mannequin legs.
I cut a piece of craft foam in an oval shape & painted "The Witch is IN" on it. The frame is made out of the rim of an oval "Chinet" brand heavy duty paper plate. After I cut it out, it was painted black, thoroughly sealed and then covered with fine black glitter. You can't tell from the pictures, but the frame really shimmers in person. To finish it off, I glued the frame to the sign. Note - Our Witch's Urn will be displayed on a covered porch, so it will fairly well protected from the elements.
The top of the urn was covered with fake moss, and the "The Witch is IN" sign was hung on the front of the urn with black string. A black crow was added as an accent.
I'm linking this post to one of my favorite blogs -